Wednesday, March 7, 2007

TV-R, Aussie Style


The last three days have been 42 degrees Celsius, or 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Gross. It’s record heat for March (we should be moving into Fall right now). However, I would totally take this dry heat over humid 85 degrees in Philly.

So Monday and Tuesday were the TV/Film days of my class. On Monday, we had to do a field shoot (basically make a movie). I decided that my group should do a kung-fu movie. I mean, there’s a Japanese garden right outside of the Communications school, it was too good of a set to pass up. Our movie was called “Chop! Chop! I stole your banana!!!!” I think that you can imagine the high production value it had. Hehe. Basically, we tried as many cheesy things as possible, such as having the fighters freeze and me walking around them with the camera to create a Matrix-style effect. Awesome. We edited on Adobe Premier, which is a PC-based editing program (boo). It was pretty similar to Final Cut though, just not as cool. The other group did a mockumentary behind-the-scenes of our movie. That also was hilarious. Murdoch is putting these onto a DVD for us, so when I get home you can all see the fruits of our labor.

Yesterday was the studio day, so we did a dating game show. Not quite as good as when I did something similar in Gossa’s intro class, but still pretty fun. Also, just like everything else here, the cameras are backwards. The zoom is on the left handle and the focus is on the right. For those of you who have ever used a studio camera, you understand how weird that is. It freaked me out.

After class, I went to Scarborough Beach to finish my photo narrative project. That was no easy feat. Class gets out at 3, and I didn’t get to the beach until 5. Public transportation takes sooooo long! Anyway, I took lots of pictures and finished my project. The final result is above. This afternoon the photo teacher critiques our projects, so hopefully he likes it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ashley - i am sooo jealous! it sounds as if your trip is everything you hoped it would be and more! keep having fun...and learn a lot! --faikish