Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The National Gallery of Victoria























On Saturday we visited the NGV, a huge art museum (above). Inside the museum was a “great hall” that had a fantastic stained glass ceiling (above).

First we saw galleries made up of old stuff from different areas of the world. First there was old stuff from South America (above). Then we saw older stuff from Egypt (above). Any art museum visit would be remiss without viewing old stuff from Greece (above). The Grecian Urns reminded me of the singing ladies in Hercules. Finally, we saw some old stuff from Southeast Asia (above).

There was (like most art museums) a section with furniture. There were a few crazy chairs, such as this silver chair (above), and this orange toothpick-like chair (above). But the thing that blew my mind was this green stool (above). Can someone please explain to me how one is supposed to sit on this? It remains a mystery to me.

Of course there was a modern art section, my favorite (*rolling my eyes*). While there were no kindergarten paintings, there were several paintings of just colors in rectangles (above). There was actually one piece that I really enjoyed. It was a mirror (above). But next to the mirror was a series of text documents that basically said “anyone can recreate this” and then had detailed directions of how anyone could make a piece of art out of a mirror. I appreciated that it at least had a sense of humor.

My real favorite exhibit was the one about sneakers (above). It featured awesomely designed shoes, like these brightly colored ones (above) and these crazy silver ones (above).

I definitely enjoyed my culture dose of the week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!!!!!
welcome to my blog!!!
Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I will admite I stole the idea... from Jeremy! But I will aspire to your excellence... his blog is lacking at best. :D