Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Why do I always pick the losing team?











On Sunday we went to another Aussie Rules Football game, this time the Collingwood Magpies against the Western Bulldogs. Both teams are from the Melbourne area, so it was billed as a great cross-town rivalry. The game was in the Telstra Dome, right in the heart of the city (exterior above, interior above). It was a sellout (above), with a total attendance of 46,990.

It was a good game, with lots of scoring and physical play (above). The fans were very into it, and they each had their craziest cheering sections behind the goals (above). I decided to root for the Magpies (black and white) because Collingwood is closer to where we live. It was looking pretty good, as they were up by 25 points halfway into the third quarter. However, because I had chosen to root for them, they ended up losing by 33 points (typical). The final score was Bulldogs 135 to Magpies 102 (above). One of my friends Dan, who had chosen to root for the Bulldogs, couldn’t stop gloating (above).

I had a good time, and I understand more of the game now. It is a fun, fast paced game, but it’s hard for me to get really into it because I have no emotional connection to the teams and haven’t grown up with the sport always on my TV set or in the papers. But I imagine that if I grew up here I would probably love it. Maybe one day it will come to America, where fans will catch on and make it more popular than the NFL.

I won’t hold my breath.

No comments: