Monday, April 16, 2007

Off We Go, Into the Wild Blue Yonder…























On Sunday I took a trip into the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. It is an area that covers 1/5 of Tasmania. It’s protected under the UN’s World Heritage Convention for being of universal natural and cultural importance. To borrow a line from Will Ferrell, it’s kind of a big deal.

Since the only other way to get into the heart of the area is by a seven-day hike, I took a small Cessna plane that carried only 6 people (above). Seeing that the only thing bringing us aloft was a single propeller (above), I was a little nervous about my first time in a small plane. Luckily, the trip proved to be smooth sailing… or flying I suppose. As you can see, I am a really quick learner, so I was allowed to fly the plane.

Just kidding. But I did get to sit in the co-pilot’s seat, which led to the above photo op. We started off flying right over downtown Hobart (above). After about twenty minutes, we were flying over the World Heritage Area.

I saw some things that were absolutely incredible. I saw some glacially formed lakes trapped in between tall mountains (above). I saw some seriously jagged mountaintops in the Arthur mountain range, including Federation Peak, one of the most famous summits in the WHA (above, grey and white peak). It was stunning to see mountain after mountain rising out of the mist (above). The contrast of mountains and bodies of water was also quite spectacular, especially since some of the lakes were really reflective (above).

We touched down on a very short runway (above, that white patch of ground). We then boarded a boat and cruised down the Melaleuca River. Since we were the only boat or water disturbance of any kind, the river had a really smooth and glassy surface. It made for some really great reflections (above). The river led to Bathurst Harbor, for some more incredible reflecting water. So cool! In the harbor where “celery top trees,” so named because they have bare trunks (stalks) and only a small bit of vegetation at the top (above).

Sadly, we had to leave the best-smelling air I’ve ever experienced to return to Hobart. The return flight wasn’t too shabby though either. Instead of flying over the center of Tasmania like we did on the way out, we flew over the southern coast of the state. We saw some amazing coastline with turquoise water (above). We saw a dolerite mountain, which I recognized as having the same rock type as Mt. Wellington (above, see I am learning something!). We also saw the southern-most point of Australia. I took a picture of it, but you can’t really see it, so I circled it in red for you (above). Trust me, it’s there.

It was quite an amazing day.

No comments: