Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Orientation




Today we had our orientation at Murdoch University (or “uni” as they say for short). The campus is really nice, but much more compact than I would have thought. Murdoch has about 14,000 students (the same as Cornell), but the buildings are close together and there’s not nearly as many. Also, most Aussie students live at home while at college because something like 75% of the country’s population is in the city. So for them, it’s really close to home.

In the bookstore, I happened to see the same TV textbook that I used in 101. Brittany and I were horrified that the Zettl book really is the bible of television as Gossa said it was.

Joe and I ate lunch with these two exchange students we met; one was from Sweden and one was from Germany. They were really cool, and it’s awesome that I’ll get to meet such cool international students on this trip. It’s nice to expand my horizons from Lansdale and Ithaca.

Everyone from Ithaca that went to the beach yesterday got sunburned. Badly. So much so that during the orientation session for all the study abroad students, the Murdoch guy told everyone that they need to be careful with sunscreen or else they’ll look like us. I forgot to put sunscreen on my arms and shoulders, and I am paying for it dearly today. But now I’ve learned that when you live underneath the ozone hole, haphazardly putting on sunscreen is not going to cut it.

No comments: